Come together for this celebration of music, food, and dance
Newcastle is home to a wealth of diasporic communities from all over the world, and Global Gathering is celebrating the city’s diversity as part of New Annual festival.
Newcastle Museum Park is set to come alive with music, food, dance, and more as the community comes together for Global Gathering on September 30.
The best part? Global Gathering is free for everyone to come along, plus it’s suitable for the whole family.
Podcaster and author Yumi Stynes is the MC for the day, making her way across two stages for dance performances, live music, and food demonstrations.
Here’s what you can expect at Global Gathering:
- Head to the Maker’s Tent for henna, Indo dance demonstrations, Chinese lantern making, and a Dance on Newy class
- Journey across the globe with food demonstrations of Afghan, Sudanese, and Tibetan cuisine, as well as a Mexican cacao demonstration
- Enjoy dance performances by local Latin dance studio Dance on Newy, Suara Indonesian Dance Group, and flamenco, accompanied by Spanish guitarist Paco Lara
- Soak up the sounds of SambaFrog, a combination of dance and percussion that evokes the spectacle of Brazil’s famous Carnaval
- Dance along to AfroMbollo, an eclectic group of talented musicians fusing soul and groove
- Immerse yourself in the music of Yukamama, a Latin fusion band playing infectious beats
- Witness the force that is NOISE by Dancenorth, as dancers move to the beat of up to 100 local volunteer drummers.
Don’t miss this celebration of the diverse traditions, food, music, and cultural expressions that enrich Newcastle and make it a better place to live.
When: 1pm-9pm, Saturday, September 30, 2023
Where: Newcastle Museum Park, 430 Hunter St, Newcastle
You can register for updates and find further details about Global Gathering by visiting the New Annual website.