Despite (or maybe because of?) the prevalence of digital devices in children’s lives, the passion for reading illustrated, engaging stories is only growing
If you have an idea for a story or a character and would like to bring your idea to life, this comprehensive course covers all aspects of children’s
book writing, design, illustration, critique, and production. The approach will be practical and hands-on, as well as utilising current digital formats
Designing a Children’s Book
With writer, designer and publisher Bettina Hodgson.
Thursday 2 August 2018
Early Bird Fee $1,650 if paid in full by Monday 16 July 2018
Course fee after 16 July: $1,800
mid November 2018.
Register your interest Here
Topics will include:
• Overview of the genre and contemporary children’s book publishing, anatomy of a children’s book.
• Narrative conventions – story design, the relationship between text and image (including main stylistic approaches, research and pagination planning).
• Performance – the relationship between text, reader and audience (including size, scale, drama/theatre and cinematic staging).
• Constructing the subject – character development, point of view, focalisation, agency, implied reader/implied author, framing, time, space and the chronotope.
• Design and Illustration techniques – image composition, framing, hand-generated vs Illustrator-generated vs photoshop generated images, intertextual
references, visual motif
• Adobe CC Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign software – book layout and design principles, image editing and compositing, typography, production
• Mentoring and feedback
• Bringing it all together – exporting and packaging for print, the production process, digital publishing
• Bringing your book to life – performance and critique, community/audience engagement
Beginners through to advanced students will benefit from the personal attention of the tutor and small class size. This course is particularly suited
to graduates or professionals in the creative industries, design, communications, fine art, illustration, dramatic arts, plus early childhood educators,
librarians, or anyone with a personal interest in children’s books wishing to pursue a creative project.
BYOD (eg laptop) with a current Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (or Adobe Creative Suite 5) installed.
• Note book, pen, graphite pencil and ruler
• A3 sketchbook
• Drawing and/or painting materials of your choice.
Some art materials will be supplied. Course dates include breaks during school holidays. Register your interest now: email@example.com
About Bettina Hodgson
Bettina has 20 years experience in the creative industries, working in the roles of Publishing Director, Art Director, Designer, Writer, Editor and
Creative Consultant. Bettina specialises in print and digital publishing, brand management and creative content development for books, magazines, film,
TV, web and media projects.
Bettina has worked with some of Australia’s best publishers, photographers, artists and designers, and holds all manner of official pieces of paper
in communications, design, creative arts and children’s literature. If she were a children’s book she would live somewhere between Where the Wild Things
Are, Mr McGee Goes to Sea and John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat.